HELP WANTED: Office Manager/Bookkeeper
Are you looking for autonomy and flexibility?
Do you possess an entrepreneurial spirit and want to be a part of a growing company that values your talent?
If you say yes to this question, let’s have a conversation.
Benjamin & Company is a sustainable custom homes and timber frames company located in Brunswick, ME, and we’re expanding our team. We create simple yet exquisite homes that are well-built, environmentally friendly, and more livable than ever before. We’re looking for a strategic and operationally savvy Office Manager / Bookkeeper to take responsibility for the running of our small dynamic office where your professionalism and initiative will be welcomed.
You’ll be the first point of contact for the company and keep the office and communication functions running smoothly and efficiently. The role of the Office Manager/Bookkeeper is to ensure that all team members have the resources and information they need to perform their jobs and support Benjamin & Company’s operations in addition to collecting, tracking, and communicating financial information that is essential to running a profitable business and meeting legal and tax obligations.
The position will start as a part-time position and will grow as the company grows. The hours can be flexible within our 8 am – 5 pm Monday thru Friday work week. We request consistency with the work schedule but will be flexible with periodic changes.
- $20 -$25/hr. based on experience
- Flexible work schedule
- Position can be partially remote for the right person
- Working with a great team!
You will have:
- 2+ years of Office Management experience
- 2+ years of QuickBooks experience (certification preferred)
- Familiarity with job cost accounting within construction a bonus
- A self-starter who is highly organized and process driven
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and professional presentation
- Ability to up manage and influence to meet timeframes and ensure office operations run smoothly
- Highly professional and mature outlook
- Ability to be proactive and have a high degree of initiative
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite and systems savvy
- Independence and initiative to create process improvement projects
- Responds to incoming phone calls and emails and takes appropriate action
- Manages and files company documents for quick retrieval as needed
- Sends cards, gifts, or flowers as appropriate for births, weddings, bereavements, on behalf of [Company name]
- Plans and coordinates employee celebrations and company events
- Maintains employee contact information and birthday list
Office and systems
- Maintains professional appearance and cleanliness of the office
- Procures office supplies to always ensure adequate stock
- Troubleshoots technology issues in the office and/or coordinates with IT support as needed
- Develops standard company forms and templates
- Provides required items for Lead Carpenter, Project Manager, or Production Manager to post at job sites (i.e., first aid kit, fire extinguisher, emergency information)
- Distributes incoming mail daily and prepares outgoing mail and shipments
- Gathers necessary subcontractor insurance forms, certificates of independent subcontractor status forms, W-4 forms,
- Prepares documentation for liability and workers’ compensation insurance audits
- Assist with Social Media and Website content management
- Fields HR questions and manages employee benefits
- Keeps personnel files for all employees complete and up to date
- Puts together new hire packages and onboarding schedule
- Processes necessary paperwork (e.g., tax forms, benefits enrollment)
- Sets up new employees with necessary communication tools (e.g., phone, email account)
Production and warranty
- Organizes and files client and subcontractor contracts and change orders
- Helps to prepare jobs for production by assembling job books
- At job launch, works with the project development team to assure that deposits are submitted as needed to subcontractors and to suppliers for special orders
- Works with Project Managers, Production Manager, and Lead Carpenters to track weekly client meeting notes
- Supports job close-out by reconciling allowances for final invoices and assembling homeowners’ manuals
- Works with subcontractors to ensure paperwork is in order and up to date – including subcontractor contracts, insurance certificates, certificates of independent subcontractor status, W-4 forms, and lien releases
- Manages invoices: prepares and sends customer invoices; tracks and processes invoices for subcontractors and material providers; reviews invoices and change order requests against contract documents; codes invoices to expense categories
- Enters employee time cards and prepares payroll
- Enters vendor bills and prepares payment checks for signature on a weekly basis
- Receives payments and records deposits
- Reconciles bank accounts and credit cards monthly
- Prepares books for Accountant to do an annual tax return
- Prepares documentation for tax and insurance filings
- Produces regular financial reports for CEO review including job cost estimate actuals; job profitability reports; P&L budget vs. actuals; revenue projections; dashboard metrics
- Supports creation of annual operating budget and burdened labor costs for CEO review
- Tracks past due receivables and works with the Production Manager on collection strategies
- Issues 1099s as needed
If this describes you, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org telling us a little about yourself, and why you would be a good fit for this position, and include your resume. References will be required before being hired.
Benjamin & Company is committed to fostering a truly diverse workforce that is inclusive of everyone. Individuals of all backgrounds (people of color, people from poor and working-class backgrounds, people in the LGBTQ+ community, and women) are encouraged to apply.